Whether the term “log cabin” or “log home” is used, the concept is the same—a beautiful rustic-looking structure built of sturdy and durable wood. A place to admire and enjoy in comfort, including the possibilities of special weekend retreats, extended vacations or year-round living.
Building a log home is an important investment, an investment you want to last. Thanks to modern processes, skills and materials, a log home can stand up well to nature’s challenges and last a long time.
Factors of Durability
A log cabin can last for a very long time, as evidenced by century-old log homes and wooden structures all over Europe, where log homes first originated. At Gastineau Log Homes, we want your log home to last generations, and if it is engineered, constructed, and maintained well, it will do just that.
Durability is a key objective in planning for the build which should include the following factors:
- A solid foundation to resist the forces of gravity.
- Consideration of possible snow loads.
- Consideration of wind and seismic loads.
- Planning for local building code compliance.
A long-life for the cabin depends on:
- Selecting a manufacturer who has a proven record in producing consistently high-quality cabins, including comprehensive plans and quality raw materials, fixtures and fittings.
- Installing a proper and solid foundation.
- Selecting the right roof for the cabin to protect the cabin structure for many years.
- Utilizing an exterior stain and sealant that has a history of consistent results.
- Installing adequate ventilation and insulation for the floor and roof.
- Performing routine maintenance.
Log Cabins are More Than Just Long-Lasting
Log cabins are:
- Energy-efficient. Wood is a great insulator by itself, with high thermal mass.
- Easy to maintain.
- Environmentally friendly.
Choose a Superior Log Home Manufacturer
Contact Gastineau Log Homes, based in Kingdom City, MO for the durable log home of your dreams. All Gastineau Log Homes include a high-quality structural package, design services, blueprints and materials list as well as our exclusive Quality Assurance Visit.