If you want to save money make sure to involve your builder in your new log home design process. You may potentially save thousands of dollars in material and labor costs by asking your builder to go over your construction plans and building site. Your builder may be able to suggest alternative materials or processes that will save you time and money. Gastineau Log Homes (https://www.oakloghome.com/selecting-a-builder/ ) is here to assist our customers to find just the right builder to help you design your new log home.
Your builder should know exactly where you want to build and what type of foundation you are considering for your log home. Using straight long lines in your foundation will help keep costs down if there are no bump outs that require footings and walls. Using prefabricated components for interior framing may save you labor costs and save you time as you construct your new home and are always built to code. Builders may also recommend that your design incorporate building materials that are sold in increments of six, eight, 10, 12, 16, 20 feet for lumber length. You should also consider these cost saving measures during the design and construction of your new log home:
- A log home design that is not complicated and has a reduced square footage will save you money.
- The more corners you incorporate into the design of your home, the higher the cost.
- Large great rooms will result in higher costs in building materials, windows, heating and cooling.
- A single-story home can save you considerable expense, depending on the room space you are interested in on the main floor.
- A gravel driveway may save you time and money, rather than installing an asphalt or concrete driveway.
- A seeded lawn may be less expensive than having sod installed.
- Investing in high quality windows will save you money for over the long term.
- The use of pocket doors in certain areas of the home may help with space limitations.
- Solar tubes are a quarter of the cost of skylights and work just as effectively.
Be realistic about your budget!
Make sure you are clear about what your budget will allow during the log home design process. Be upfront with your builder so they can work with you to see how you may be able to save money in the design and construction phases. The last thing you want to do is design a dream home that is beyond your budget.
Gastineau Log Homes has over 40 years of experience helping people realize their dream of building a log home. We are here to help you in the design process of your new home. At Gastineau Log Homes we have a Builder List of contractors who have satisfactorily built our homes in the past. Contact us today and let’s explore your log home dream together.