The kitchen is one of the busiest locations and is central to the life you live in your home. The kitchen often is a favorite place to gather as a family. It is important to design a kitchen that is warm and comforting, and reflects the homeowner’s lifestyle. Here are some ideas to help you incorporate this concept into your kitchen as you gather with your family and friends to enjoy making memories in your log home.
Most log home designs have a kitchen that is open to the living space. This means that your choices of cabinets, countertops and appliances have even more impact. Design continuity from one space to another is very important to keep in mind. Check out our gallery for kitchen design ideas as you begin your journey.
The first feature to consider is the choice of cabinets and where to buy them.
- Custom cabinet makers can build cabinets to fit your design in the wood species and stain that you choose.
- Factory cabinets are available through lots of retail outlets from kitchen design specialty stores to big box retailers like Lowes.
- Recycled or reclaimed cabinets may be available that can be refinished or repainted.
- Open cabinets could be built on site using shelving materials.
- Antique or used furniture can be rebuilt to make a one of a kind cabinet.
Another important feature to consider is the choice of the right kitchen sink. If you are hard on sinks, stainless steel may be your best choice. If you hand wash a lot of dishes you may want to consider a double bowl, otherwise one large oversized skink may suit you better.
You should weigh the pros and cons when choosing countertops for your kitchen. Quartz countertops are extremely durable and stain resistant. Butcher block gives a “warm” feel to the kitchen and is relatively indestructible. Granite is a popular choice and is durable but must be sealed periodically. Stainless steel countertops show any cuts and the finish can be damaged easily. Laminates are low cost alternatives but show wear and tear easily.
Your kitchen flooring, besides being practical and durable, is a major design statement in your new log home. There is a tremendous variety of materials, colors and textures available, so you will have many choices to complete your dream kitchen.
- Wood is a popular choice for today’s kitchens. It feels good underfoot and creates a warm look. Today’s prefinished wood floors withstand heavy traffic and water stains. High-pressured plastic laminates are an alternative that provide the same look for less money.
- Ceramic tile is durable and available in assorted colors and styles with the option for decorative borders and designs.
- Vinyl flooring offers a variety of styles and colors in either tiles or sheets for those on a budget.
We would love to meet with you to help you design and build the perfect kitchen for your home. Gastineau Log Homes has over 40 years of experience helping people realize their dream of building a log home. Contact us today and let’s explore your log home dream together.